Monday, May 21, 2012

FAVORITE SUMMER SALAD





In an earlier post I promised to share my favorite salad recipe so here it it. Not a lot of people visit over the winter but once summer arrives the cottage is an endless open door which requires easy meals and lots of them. Easy is key because I'd rather be in the water than at the stove. Chicken breasts take no time at all on the grill and when set on mixed greens with a delish topping, well.. everyone is happy. This recipe came from my step grandma Pearl and step aunt Sue, otherwise know as my "Lake Girls". They also spent all summer on a lake near by and also had many mouths to feed from May to September.  Both of my Lake Girls are in heaven now, but hardly a day goes by when I don't think about the fun we had playing dice, cards, suntanning, morning coffee and EATING! One day we tried to guess how many times we fed friends and family this salad. I believe the total was over 40 and there were never leftovers.  Enjoy, but before you do, here are my favorite Lake Girl quotes. Pearl : "Everyone has problems and NObody wants to hear about them, get over it!"  Sue : " let's go get ourselves new nail polish and fry ourselves on the beach it always works to make things better."  They were both right, and of course good food helps too!

TARRAGON CHICKEN SALAD

4 seasoned, grilled chicken breasts
Mixed salad greens
Roasted red peppers thin sliced (roast yourself or buy in jar for ease)

Mix together: 1 C. mayonnaise
                         4 T. red or white wine vinegar
                         4 T minced shallots
                         4 T. chopped fresh tarragon (I tend to add more but do it to taste)
                          3 T drained, rough chopped capers 

I usually make this dressing in the morning so its ready to go when I grill the chicken.
Toss mixed salad greens ( I like spring greens) with just a touch of good olive oil or Italian dressing . Top with chicken and tarragon mixture, garnish with roasted red peppers.

1 comment: