Thursday, May 5, 2011

NOT YO MAMA'S S'MORES

                                                                                
I have always loved sitt'in by a campfire.  I even built a small campfire pit in the backyard when my sons were growing up in the suburbs (not common). Its where the boys and their friends spent countless weekend nights (best memories). One morning while everyone was asleep I made breakfast out there, feeling sure the smell of bacon would float through their bedroom windows to wake up my boys. It worked! The aromas coming off my cast iron pan, coffee warming on the coals, also lured curious neighbors who had been mowing their yards LOL. Heavenly odors of fire, bacon,eggs and fresh morning air... Who could resist?

                                    our "city" campfire site       
                                              
  Here at the cottage, campfires are weekly if not nightly and a favorite place to gather and cook. Naturally we go through thousands of hotdogs, s'more fixings and fresh fish, but typical to "dana" style, I like to switch things up. Before dinner one night, I thought these would be fun for guests to make and they were.

NOT YO MAMA'S  S'MORES
(Amount really depends on how many people)

Fresh Whole Milk Mozzarella balls (not skim milk and not sliced!)
Jar ('s) Sundried Tomatoe halves in oil (drain)
Fresh basil leaves
Garlic Pannini crackers or Garlic Bagle chips

Cut mozzarella in about 2 inch cubes
Set everything out in bowls or platter along with your campfire forks
Roast cheese over INDIRECT heat untill nice and warm
Grab a cracker, top with basil, tomatoe and warmed cheese.
**Note: would also be good on sliced, toasted baguette rubbed with a little garlic clove

                                     like mother like son

                            Add guitars for a perfect recipe
                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment